24 phrases ‘gaslighters’ use in opposition to you

By News Author

24 phrases ‘gaslighters’ use in opposition to you

News Author

PR

Editor’s observe: This text is a re-run as a part of our countdown of prime tales from the previous 12 months.

For those who’ve ever frolicked round a gaslighter, what they’re able to.

Gaslighters interact within the manipulation strategy of distorting identified information, recollections, occasions and proof to invalidate an individual’s expertise. The thought is to make those that disagree with the gaslighter query their skill, reminiscence or sanity. (See it in motion within the 1944 film “Gaslight,” starring Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer.)

Gaslighters use lies, false guarantees and private assaults to make these round them doubt themselves. For instance, at a gathering on Tuesday, your boss says, “You’ll be able to all go away at midday on Friday.” When Friday comes alongside, your boss indignantly says, “I might by no means say you would go away early. You weren’t paying consideration.”

In terms of politics, gaslighting is throughout us. Gaslighting additionally happens in private relationships, although it’s typically subtler, however gaslighting within the office will be particularly damaging—notably in case your boss is the wrongdoer.

In response to Psychology At present, gaslighting usually begins regularly, with a snide remark or important comment disguised as a joke. The gaslighter might then deny having stated or finished one thing, inform blatant lies and finally undertaking his or her unhealthy habits or traits on you.

The extra conscious you might be of a gaslighter’s methods, the higher you’ll be able to defend your self. The next are phrases to search for should you suspect somebody is attempting to gaslight you.

1. “For those who had been paying consideration…”

2. “For those who had been listening…”

3. “For those who knew the best way to pay attention…”

4. “We talked about this. Don’t you keep in mind?”

5. “I assume I’ll need to repeat myself since you’ll be able to’t keep in mind.”

6. “It’s essential to study to speak higher.”

7. “You’re being irrational.”

8. “Don’t you suppose you’re over-reacting?”

9. “You’re simply over-sensitive.”

10. “Cease being so delicate.”

11. “You’re too emotional.”

12. “You’ll be able to’t take a joke.”

13. “You’re so thin-skinned.”

14. “You at all times soar to the unsuitable conclusion.”

15. “Cease taking the whole lot I say so significantly.”

16. “Are you able to hear your self?”

17. “I criticize you as a result of I such as you.”

18. “You’re the one particular person I’ve these issues with.”

19. “You’re studying an excessive amount of into this.”

20. “I’m not arguing; I’m discussing.”

21. “I do know what you’re considering.”

22. “You need to have identified that this was not time to speak.”

23. “Why are you upset? I used to be solely kidding.”

24. “Why would you suppose that? What does that say about you?”

What experiences do you could have with gaslighting, PR Every day readers? Are there phrases you’d add to the checklist for conscientious communicators to keep away from?

Laura Hale Brockway is a daily contributor to PR Every day. Learn extra of her posts on writing, modifying, and company life at impertinentremarks.com.

Yasmin says:

Dialogue offers them a gap. Whenever you get questions like “What did I do, what do you imply, I don’t perceive they aren’t listening or attempting to know you, they’re ready on your reply to allow them to both; assault you personely or once you reply they begin denying the whole lot you say. Making you the insane sounding particular person. When you could have a gaslighter in your life I might advocate you (out of my very own expertise) First to remain at a far distance from this particular person don’t allow them to get near you, if it means chopping of contact than I’m afraid you could have to take action. All the time hold distance so you’ll be able to decrease contact and you’ve got management over once they can converse to you (I solely discuss over the cellphone twice a 12 months). Second it’s a must to settle for that this particular person won’t ever acknowledge the hurt they’ve brought about you. Logic and purpose doesn’t work on these individuals, you’ll solely go insane attempting to persuade them. The earlier you settle for this, the quicker you’ll be able to transfer on together with your life. It’s laborious to simply accept escpecially when it’s a relative, however it’s your solely approach out of this distress. Keep on with the information in your life and know that you’re not making issues up, if it actually occurred they usually deny or go round it they’re gaslighting you. (The relative in my case is my father)

Some Man says:

One frequent assertion I proceed to see is “if everybody round you is an issue, the issue is you.” It immediately shuts down any dialogue for no matter situation is going on. I’ll use my very own expertise for instance. I’ve introduced as much as many individuals my previous and the way I’ve been bullied for my appears to be like all my life. So having gone by means of this sort of therapy from individuals for chunk of my life, it leads me to consider that most individuals are assholes. Anybody I ever point out this to says the above assertion. I should be the issue. Yeah…Aren’t I so insupportable for merely current? I do know now that its simply gaslighter language. Sufferer blaming. I hope this crappy sentiment of “if everybody round you is the issue..” will get studied and hopefully it would lastly come to mild what a horrible and sufferer blaming assertion that is.

Patrick says:

@wendy Schmidt – Proper there. “I’m sorry you are feeling that approach.” Or, even worse iteration of that might be, “I consider that you just consider that.” I had a counselor/social employee try this to me for a 12 months. I’ve had individuals converse to me in that approach in life. I feel you can learn into what the implications are. There are some cues, verbal, facial expressions, physique language, that additionally appear to be tangentially associated from most of these feedback and sayings. You simply know, when somebody says these items that they imply you no good. It’s covert, underneath the floor. Parsing phrases, offering examples (“nicely should you don’t give me examples, how am I speculated to…”), slow-walking, delaying, evading, countering, avoiding, not offering a direct reply…. I’ve a universe of thought behind what the phrase, “I’m sorry you are feeling that approach,” actually means.

Cory says:

@ wendy…

“I’m sorry you are feeling that approach”

OMG THIS DRIVES ME INSANE
I can by no means ever get an apology, even for one thing very simple however would nonetheless warrant an apology.

@ patrick..—- the gradual strolling…omg. im so glad another person acknowledges this in individuals. After I’m attempting to get my associate to rush up due to a time crunch. There’s by no means ever a “transfer quicker” effort. Not as soon as. have I been like “can we transfer a bit quicker, we ave individuals ready on us.” there may be by no means not as soon as in fouhr years been a time the place I really witnessed a way of urgency, hustle. and many others. “hey come on, we bought to go ! we’re late ” replies with ” I AM MOVING AS FAST AS I CAN” when there isn’t a change in effort.

I feel all in all, I hahve witnessed gaslighters to be individuals who silently mooch there approach by means of life, they fake to be silly or not perceive what you might be saying.

I’ve been in arguments the place for at the very least 3 hours I used to be screaming “cease speaking to me, STOP replying to me, PLEASE DONT SAY ANYTHING”

very first thing that I hear is “I didn’t do something”, “I used to be sitting silent”, “I didn’t do something unsuitable”, ” I– I– I don’t perceive what your imply?!”.

overlaying their ears pretending that they will’t hear you…

“are you doing having a mood tantrum”

“WHATS WRONG WITH YOU!?”
-> “you actually DONT UNDERSATND ANYTHING THAT I SAY”
“I didn’t say something, you should be listening to voices”
->”OMFG ARE YOU KIDDING ME.!? HOW DOES ANYTHING I SAY NOT MAKE SENSE”

vial madness

I feel gaslighting has turn into extra prevalent as a result of individuals don’t perceive the etymology behind many phrases they are saying, even when he phrases are widespread.

Brittany Yerden says:

So, my sister, mom and sister in regulation all blame issues on me that they really do themselves. They’ve put me down for years and I completely hate myself. I’ve at all times blamed myself and posted all my insecurities on social media(massive mistake) they usually inform those that I’m the difficulty and I’m at fault and at all times denying that they damage me. They fabricate tales to others and now, I’ve nobody. I really feel so alone and hopeless. I really feel like I’ll by no means love myself. They know the way a lot I hate myself, sadly my very own fault, however they’d lie and say I’m boastful,so I needed to show myself and defend myself to them. I really feel like I’m at all times defending myself. I really feel like I’ll by no means escape this cycle of abuse. How can I simply “ignore” them? I’ve been by means of this my entire life virtually and even advised myself how I should be the difficulty. I advised myself i wanted to respect them simply as a lot as a result of all their merciless phrases and actions should be true and I need to deserves it. I actually need some recommendation. Thanks a lot!

Anna H. says:

My ex used to refuse to debate something after the primary time if I couldn’t repeat the excessive factors of our dialog word-for-word. As an illustration, we’d had a dialogue about taking equal turns vacuuming, however he appreciated to hoover very first thing within the morning and I labored late nights and slept in. He was indignant at me for not waking up on the time he dictated to do my share of the work, however we mentioned altering the appointed time to hoover so it was extra honest to me. Certain sufficient, although, a number of weeks later he bought pissed at me once more for not vacuuming on time. I identified that we’d already mentioned this and got here to an answer (or so I’d thought), and he requested me to repeat to him word-for-word what we’d stated. I couldn’t, however I might paraphrase and inform him the date that we had the dialogue, in addition to the place we had been standing within the room whereas we had been speaking, and many others. He advised me that except I might give him the whole unedited dialog, I used to be mendacity, and he wasn’t speaking about this anymore. With that as an intimidation approach, over eight years of relationship he successfully tailor-made all of my actions to fulfill his precise necessities. I didn’t notice the extent of the manipulation till we’d damaged up and I used to be in remedy. By no means once more.

JUNO says:

Brittany, laborious as it might be, we generally want to chop individuals out of our lives. Particularly people who find themselves damaging versus supportive of us. Oftentimes, this may embrace relations. In your case, they might see you as possessing some distinctive abilities, expertise , private traits, and many others. they’re jealous of so, they demean you. In what you wrote, you demonstrated good perception and an correct learn of what has been occurring. You might be good!

The following step is determining the best way to distance your self from those that are harming you. That’s, decide how one can largely get rid of them out of your life. For those who dwell with these relations, discover your individual place. Additionally, get rid of your psychological reliance on them. You will discover helpful steerage for this on line.

Rely by yourself good judgement to quietly plan this out. Maintain your plans to your self except you could have a VERY reliable good friend you’ll be able to speak in confidence to. The act of planning provides you with energy! By breaking away, you’ll acquire a recent and optimistic self-outlook. Your confidence will develop.

Don’t search for ANY assist, assist, steerage, and many others. regardless of how small, from those that are harming you. The above will take a while. Be affected person. Within the meantime, let their abusing phrases flip into motivation to proceed planning and gaining your freedom.

Households are generally identified to gang up on members who’re distinctive, completely different from them as they discover such people to be threatening. I believe you could have a expertise(s) they’re jealous of and don’t want you to turn into profitable or joyful in your life.

Mary canary says:

I’ve came upon final week that my gaslighting associate has lied about a problem for the 22 12 months period of the connection .now I’m staying within the bed room I can’t bear to have a look at him as a result of he stated , he lied to guard Me !!

Mary canary says:

He additionally says why would you suppose that about me , I’m sitting right here minding my very own enterprise and you like arguing . I had a meltdown 2 days in the past and he appeared to go stop , till , why aren’t you sitting subsequent to me watching the tv . I don’t perceive what’s occurred !!!!!!

Mary canary says:

First time ever I’ve witnessed the pacing factor . He stood up calmly and began strolling very slowly from room to room and turning to smile at me to mock my anger . Then accused me of being violent as a result of I tore up my teatowel in frustration . Yesterday he urged me to go within the lounge after I’d spent 4 days within the bed room . He even trivialised the time in there and stated it was 2 days but claiming I’ve ignored him for 4 days . B…… 😠

Samuel Braun says:

Not a lot dissent amongst these feedback. Why? I take advantage of most likely a 3rd to a half of those phrases regularly, they usually’re used on me in return. No hurt, no foul. That’s simply the best way it’s at all times been. Only a regular a part of dialog. Perhaps there’s a legitimate level to be made about manipulation, however most of those examples are loopy. Take the primary three examples (above). I take advantage of them when the particular person I’m speaking with comes again at me with an announcement that DOES NOT FOLLOW in any respect from what I simply stated. That, and the truth that many (most? me included) individuals don’t actually pay attention that nicely, as a substitute they’re typically already interested by what THEY will say subsequent, is ample justification. (Granted, quantity three sounds a bit snarky. I really DON’T say that one) Quantity 7. Precisely how is that completely different from “that’s irrational.” Jeez, should you can’t say that, you might as nicely cease speaking. What else CAN one say when the opposite particular person just isn’t being rational. Quantity 16. When somebody says one thing absurd, that is precisely the right factor to say. Quantity 19. That is typically nicely which means and useful recommendation that makes the opposite particular person really feel higher about himself or at the very least present a bit reassurance. Quantity 21. Usually utilized in a self-disparaging approach. Look, should you’re going to place us in a verbal straightjacket then what’s the purpose of even having a dialogue.

Scott says:

None of these quotes are gaslighting. The one purpose you consider that’s as a result of your sufferer mentality is aware of no bounds; you need to play sufferer in a pathetic try to keep away from having to swallow your delight and admit your mistake.

Actually, I don’t suppose gaslighting is even a professional time period. It’s only a verbal machine “victims” use as an excuse to not settle for accountability.

Nina says:

I feel JUNO gave Brittany wonderful recommendation.
What do you do when you find yourself victimized by a fuel lighter all of your life earlier than you even knew what which means?…I lastly realized that I needed to fully separate myself from the perpetrator if I used to be ever going to have any peace. My life improved THE MINUTE I WALKED AWAY FOR GOOD. I not often talk and if I do it’s briefly on my phrases…at all times cautious to not backslide into the trickery. Jealousy, Manipulation and Sabotage is actual …And Generally being with Household is totally Over rated. Persist with individuals who genuinely give their assist.

Christy Fortier says:

I bought right into a relationship with a 57 12 months old- I’m 28. The primary time I ever heard the phrase gaslighting was a pair weeks in the past when my good friend advised me I’m lacking harmful purple flags about being undermined and manipulated… I ignored that recommendation and saved seeing this older man. He by means of his cellphone at me to ‘show’ that he doesn’t discuss to every other ladies however me and household.. nicely whereas entertaining his request I learn a textual content message he despatched to a good friend principally saying I used to be t doing a lot for him in anyway- I introduced this up with him and his response was, “it’s man discuss! That is bullshit we’re not in highschool I didn’t effing do something! You’re inconceivable to please; nobody will put up will put up with you want I do!” (Screaming on the prime of his lungs- face as purple as one can get). In any case.. that made me query wether or not I used to be overreacting..
Shifting onto his feedback about my sanity… “do you hear your self? I imply actually. You might have a break up persona and want to simply accept assist”
He would additionally contact my sides and pull on me telling me, “that is the place all of your meals is going- you actually ought to take an image of your self consuming that bagel”
— now I used to be uncomfortable consuming round him—
The primary evening I refused to place up with the manipulation bullshit and threatened to leave- as I deliberate on it- he advised me “IF YOU LEAVE ILL END IT! I’ll fucking finish it!” I stated “Martin.. what do you imply?” He stated, “should you go away I’ll kill myself” I stated I wouldn’t go away… however at 3 am I used to be within the subsequent room with my coronary heart in my abdomen questioning what he was gna do to me if he heard me packing my issues.. discuss a foul GUT feeling.. I couldn’t even catch my breath. However I bought the braveness to pack my issues and I left in the course of the evening—
— he additionally pushed me so laborious out of nowhere that I stumbled throughout the kitchen into his sink— and he laughed like he was joking- I couldn’t even look him within the eyes at that second bc I didn’t need to see what pleasure that gave him— he began scaring me however in essentially the most twisted approach I felt prefer it might nonetheless work— till
I assumed to myself oh God.. if I see his face again- I will probably be terrified…
he contacted my household tonight to inform them I used to be ‘on medicine’ and ‘ingesting alcohol’ and that I wanted assist… Which was simply the weirdest twisted lie (HE EVEN TOOK A PICTURE OF HIS BEER AND SENT IT CLAIMING I BROUGHT IT TO GET DRUNK!!!)NOW at this second in time After he made contact with household bc he’s blocked on my cellphone— I’m actually scared for my life. I’ve been open eyed all evening into morning anxious that he’s going to point out up right here he made a remark that he’d both “love” me “to items” or “chop” me “up into items”
I don’t know the way it bought this unhealthy— however he’s doing a job on my psychological state and well-being..that’s for positive.
There’s a lot extra.. however I’ll go away it at that bc I’m exhausted.

Anne says:

I have a tendency agree with the feedback that these phrases will not be nice examples of gaslighting. They’re too imprecise and might typically be rooted in some fact. And plenty of of them redundant. That stated, it does rely upon the context, intent and even tone of voice. “It’s 10% what you say and 90% the way you say it.”

For instance, to say somebody is overreacting can generally be true and a good assertion. However saying one thing like, “you’re overreacting so there’s one thing unsuitable with you” could be a greater instance. Equally, saying “you’re the one particular person I’ve these issues with” will be true however to say, “you’re the one particular person I’ve these issues with since you are too delicate and irrational” may be a greater instance.

I’ve difficulties with my boyfriend that I by no means have with anybody else. I’ll ask him to relax and never make such a giant deal of it and he’ll inform me I’m loopy or there’s one thing unsuitable with me. Who’s doing the gaslighting. It’s my actuality that he’s flying off the deal with over one thing unfair however I don’t name him loopy. He take it that step additional. Additionally, he’s an alcoholic and infrequently forgets conversations or remembers them otherwise. When is it standing up on your true recollection of occasions and when is telling them that you just advised them one thing already or they weren’t listening gaslighting. I’ll make mild of it and say, “you should have misheard me. No massive deal,” however he says I’m gaslighting. If I had been criticizing him for it, maybe that might be completely different. He’ll criticize me for doing one thing that he does on a regular basis but when i level that out, he claims I’m gaslighting. The place are the traces?

Tw says:

OK individuals relax.
Or is that me fuel lighting?
One massive consideration that’s missed in merely taking a look at phrases and phrases is motive and intent.
Too typically individuals latch onto a type of armchair psychology and self evaluation. Appropriating phrases and phrases which might be generally simply easy statements of truth to be types of abuse, when they aren’t.
Abuse is a systemic behaviour that has one objective, to exert energy as a way to management. This may be evidenced in phrases, phrases or acts which might be imposed throughout a number of areas and over time. Particular person statements don’t make a fuel lighter, collective assertion and behaviours over time do. These reveal the true character and nature of a person, and in the end what their motive and intent is.
One other time period used right here is sufferer mentality. One consideration when defining somebody in response to energy and management methods and strategies is to be totally conscious that it does place you right into a sufferer mentality. That’s what it’s designed to do, to guard the self from additional abuse, firstly by figuring out types of abuse, then by defending the sufferer from additional abuse by refusing to simply accept any type of rationalization.
As an alternative defining something provided that’s solely measured by means of a lens of self safety as additional abuse.
The tactic is self validating, self defending, and as such cannot enable problem as a result of to to so may trigger additional injury or abuse.
It’s not subjective if self utilized, and will at all times be thought-about and reviewed by a educated third get together skilled, who talks to either side, not only one facet.
It’s all too straightforward to trigger vital and lasting injury to relationships by making use of parts of psychology to swimsuit a disposition or desired consequence, for this reason context and defining character and nature over time, in addition to exterior evaluation and problem of these items is crucial.
Gasoline lighting is not only hooked up to phrases, it’s discovered within the intent.
For those who then assume somebody is responsible of intent primarily based solely on phrases and permit them no proper to problem you conclusions and definition of them then this can be a positive signal that you’re the difficulty.
Since you are denying them their primary authorized proper to a presumption of innocence, you by software of a technique to outline an abuse with out permitting context deny them the appropriate to a voice and to defend themself.
So be very cautious, what might generally seem as fuel lighting may very well be a medical situation, emotional issue, or perhaps a psychological situation within the different particular person, and never an intent to trigger deliberate hurt. Perceiving them solely by means of a lens of suspicion and doubt hooked up to self safety or solely your rights doesn’t enable for broader concerns to be made.
Which is a limiting issue of merely attempting to outline anybody there by phrases and phrases.

Stephanie Taylor says:

He hurts my emotions, then doesn’t care. He simply makes it worse, til I’m very upset. I say why do you give me nothing however hate & I’ve to beg for love? I get “I’m inconceivable to like”. ” For those who’d cease”(falling aside) ” I can’t”,. (love me) all this as a result of he didn’t love from the start. That is taking place after, 7 yrs of not being conscious, I’m nonetheless recovering & getting again management. He’s identify in my cellphone is evil husband… Oh, I’m chargeable for his actions & he’s the sufferer.

Aimee Holbrook says:

I feel the most important take away from this, and the best way to separate true fuel lighting from individuals being Uber delicate is that this….fuel lighters have MOTIVE. They’re narcissistic people who find themselves attempting to achieve management over their sufferer by making them suppose they’re going loopy or are unstable and might’t dwell with out the gaslighter…

Niccog says:

I feel they often use all the above if not most of those phrases. Poisonous individuals who gaslight others are simply extraordinarily manipulative. They are going to mislead you to the bone. I see somebody within the remark part saying that poisonous individuals will often say “if everybody round you is an issue, the issue is you.” Its a lie… They are saying this so you find yourself blaming your self. I keep in mind working for a particularly poisonous firm as soon as really. The supervisor would at all times discover a purpose to get me into bother for one thing and at all times wrote me up and mendacity claiming I’m at all times doing issues unsuitable though I knew the whole time he was mendacity… He then finally stated this similar assertion “if everybody round you is an issue, the issue is you.” I nonetheless knew he was mendacity so simply ignored it and finally left the corporate. I then began working for a greater firm. One which isnt poisonous. And never as soon as has any of the managers stated that “I used to be the issue” or saying “if everybody round you is an issue, the issue is you” and nothing ever went unsuitable. All of them stated I used to be doing job and nothing I used to be doing was unsuitable. So only one phrase of recommendation. Keep away from poisonous individuals. They’re the most important liars.. They are going to twist your phrases, mislead you, declare your doing one thing unsuitable though it’s really proper and many others…

Jon says:

Context is essential with all of this, particularly as each a gaslighter and the gaslighting sufferer might discover themselves saying most of the listed phrases. A number of are additionally phrases that will come up round somebody genuinely coping with psychosis (reminiscent of brought about by means of trauma, despair, and many others.). The completely different results and outcomes are key, particularly since gaslighting is utilized by an abuser in manipulating the sufferer and notably has the aim of cognitive dissonance.

For Concord ‘s query: As with many types of abuse, it’s totally attainable for a sufferer of gaslighting to finish up utilizing gaslighting methods themselves. I’ve one former good friend who was making an attempt to gaslight individuals who, himself, has a relatively emotionally and bodily abusive father. There are additionally tons of articles on the topic plus the cycle of abuse, with research suggesting that 1/3 of victims find yourself changing into abusers later in life. A part of breaking the cycle is recognizing the abuse for what it’s and consciously avoiding damaging (i.e. manipulative, abusive, and many others.) behaviors.

Lennox says:

It’s generally their emotional swap versus verbal cues. For instance, they are going to do one thing hurtful, cheat or lie, and once you ask a sound query like “why would you try this, you actually damage me” they react by escalating the scenario to an uncomfortable confrontation to keep away from asking your trustworthy query and resolving the matter leaving you damage and confused however afraid to press on asking questions fearing you’re being a “nag”. Numerous males use this on their wives or what they seek advice from as their “ball and chain” or “previous woman”….what I’ve by no means understood is why would you get entangled in a dedicated relationship with a lovely, loving girl simply to control and destroy them psychologically and disrespect them emotionally (as in the event that they’re ‘broken’ or ‘unloveable’)…that’s your spouse. You swore a vow to honour and defend that human being as did she do the identical for you. I see all of it too typically, {couples} “pump and dump” companions like they’re disposable. It’s sickening.

Randolph says:

“You don’t have any proof” or “You don’t have any proof” but the proof is clearly there. The gaslighter makes consider the proof doesn’t exist or doesn’t rely as proof, so his sufferer should be imagining issues.

Heather says:

Saying these items doesn’t make you a gaslighter… generally the gaslighter is on the opposite finish of this dialog blowing the whole lot you say out of proportion and context and placing phrases in your mouth… if somebody is alway blowing up about insignificant crap after which attempting to make you out to be the unhealthy man as a result of your sick of listening to nothing however negativity in fact your response goes to be that they should relax

Paula says:

My mother and that i say all this shit to one another on a regular basis. We’re each gaslighting each other, and its a very exhausting relationship. Periodically we each strive to not, but it surely simply slips again into the identical previous shit. Its a continuing and painful cycle, and we dont have every other household, which makes the whole lot quite a bit worse. Over time our relationship has been stripped to the naked minimal of assembly 1-2 a 12 months and talking provided that virtually obligatory. If im being life like, i might say its extremely unlikely that our relationship will ever change.
Its actually unhappy. Generally i can tear up as a result of I miss her a lot, though we’re in the identical room. Actually, i believe we’re each narcissists fucking up every others lives, and though a household is all i would like, I dont suppose i ought to have youngsters and cross the curse on.

Jess says:

I’ve somebody in my life who responds to my communication in a approach that the majority individuals wouldn’t. Right here’s the instance.
It’s Wednesday and we make plans to catch up Subsequent Friday. I verify nice see you subsequent Friday. Then on Friday, 2 days after the Wednesday they reconfirm assembly that evening. I remind them that I stated NEXT Friday after which they go on to high school me about how a majority of individuals would seek advice from NEXT as THIS Friday. I attempt to clarify that if it was this week, I might have stated THIS not NEXT. My sense is that this particular person deliberately appears to be like for potential miscommunication holes from my communication, performs it out after which makes use of the second of realisation to select aside how I’m speaking.
This is only one instance of some ways during which this particular person will primarily blame me for misunderstanding.
Is that this gaslighting or am I simply illiberal?

Ingrid says:

Right here’s my recommendation: make Charles Boyer give again the brooch, fetch the image again up on the wall, & inform him to take Angela Lansbury & get the (unhealthy phrase) out of my (unhealthy phrase) home!!!! It’s my (unhealthy phrase) attic, & my (unhealthy phrase) gems!! Then, if he tries to wormtongue argue you, then its throat chop to the balls.

Dave says:

I’m undecided, but it surely looks as if proportion of this feedback part is from lively gsslighters attempting to reduce the notion of those phrases and twist the blame again onto the victims as soon as once more. I don’t imply the one woman who admitted to a cycle of two approach gaslighting along with her mom, as a result of she at the very least has recognised the damaging results of her phrases and actions. This was a sound and obligatory article, however as talked about elsewhere, context is essential to the understanding of those phrases.

Invoice says:

@Dave, I positively observed this too, even in my self as I learn by means of the artical and feedback I attempted to modify it up in my head solely to comprehend that I do really exhibit a few of these behaviors and many individuals achieve this too me. After Recognizing the fault in myself and lots of others I’m at of the frame of mind you must simply be self conscious and even when others do it to you strive your greatest to not do it to others. That’s actually all there must be stated, it’s human nature for a lot of in desirous to have management over their very own life and in flip it might look like (Gaslighting) or changing into (victimized). Take a look at context everytime you really feel like your being manipulated or you might be considering of claiming certainly one of these phrases as a result of it might simply additional deepen the entire you might be in if not.

V says:

11 of those out of 24 get stated to me on the common. And I’m a loss each single time and don’t have any solution to even defend myself he manipulates each single factor I say or do and I’m dependant on him as a result of I’m a keep at dwelling mother. I’m breaking and simply desire a solution to keep sane.

Jay Smith says:

My aim as knowledgeable canine coach is obtain the very best stage of communication as attainable with one other species. The previous strategies of jerking in choke chains and coercion or the power sort coaching of canine did nothing to assist me with this quest. After I discovered the methods of utilizing optimistic reinforcement to vary habits I turned a grasp at it. (I’m superb with canine)
Behind my thoughts I had at all times thought of transferring these strategies over to individuals as I had discovered in Karen Pryors guide “Don’t shoot the canine”. As I utilized these expertise to the relationships in my life, I then sat again and watched them work with ease and precision. (probably not, it’s work but it surely’s stress free work) I additionally realized how I had been utilizing abusive methods to control individuals to get the issues I wished. To make a protracted story brief and what I’m attempting to say is by specializing in the optimistic The and reward the behaviors you need not solely does your relationship get higher however you may get the opposite particular person to do your laundry, the dishes and many others!!!that. By attempting to disregard the damaging or undesirable behaviors they have a tendency to fade away or extinguish if there isn’t a optimistic or damaging consequence!

Belfast says:

@Dave,
You might be useless proper.
I’ve been married 50 years and by no means skilled gaslighting personally both within the marriage or my instant household.
However I used to be a lawyer, and I heard these tales repeatedly, MOSTLY by ladies who couldn’t perceive what was taking place. On the events when it was a person confused however questioning if she was untrue. Normally, sure.
The numerous emotion in all circumstances was confusion and a bent responsible themselves in some little approach, as a result of they couldn’t settle for unhealthy intent on the opposite.

Nick says:

As a sufferer of this myself, I discovered these phrases a helpful anchor to understand that I’m not going mad. However one of many respondents right here is appropriate, they’re not all gaslighting phrases, however that’s not the purpose is it? I consider the phrase goes, ‘the dose makes the poison’ and that’s the case right here. None of those phrases alone are notably dangerous, and lots of of them are a part of logical statement and a few are only a bit unkind. Nonetheless, utilized in quantity they make a distinction. not simply that, it’s the intent, if these phrases turn into relationship tropes used to close you down and really feel such as you don’t have a sound level, then they’re harmful. Keep in mind, they’re simply indicators not a calibration system. I’ve been on the top of this, and I’ve been made to really feel over-sensitive and trivialised, making one thing out of nothing, I’ve had all these grains of fact and critcism dressed up as assist. After I’ve challenged it utilizing my greatest logic and purpose, I’ve been advised that I’m over analytical. It’s unhappy, and it breaks my coronary heart, however the one approach is to depart the connection. I don’t consider it makes the gaslighter essentially evil, it’s simply part of their control-drama and it might or might not be intentional. The plain truth is, that when one is confronted with this example, you might be coping with an individual who is not going to worth your purpose and logic in reflecting their behaviour, as a result of their entire MO is predicated upon ridiculing your arguments. It’s a hiding to nothing. My dad used to say, ‘you’re banging your head in opposition to a brick wall; it’s good once you cease’.

Andrea says:

Um… I’ve a mildly narcissistic tremendous gaslightly aged claims-to-be-forgetful mom and I stand as much as her continually. Which implies I’ve needed to LEGITIMATELY say nearly all of these items to her, and never as soon as have I gaslit her. After all, she makes use of many of those on me allllll the time, at all times manipulatively, however once you’re coping with somebody like that these phrases do pop up often as truthful responses to THEIR precise behaviors.

Lists like these will be damaging to wholesome individuals. They upset me generally as a result of it makes me really feel like I’m not *allowed* to face up for myself Or that I’ve to bend over backwards to give you various phrasing continually simply to keep away from utilizing wording they use manipulatively. It’s good to acknowledge these, however I are likely to take individuals with a grain of salt once I hear others say any of those, till I’ve skilled each events and might distinguish who the precise drawback is….

Elliot says:

I might go on for daaaaayyyyyssss with phrases and ways. My mom and older sister are excessive gaslighters. I grew up with no father, so I had no technique of realizing what was actuality and what was not for many of my life. It messed me up basically. I nonetheless have points right now bc of it. They used it to normalize bodily abuse in addition to verbal/emotional abuse and neglect. I didn’t even know I used to be being abused till somebody identified the proof on my physique. I’d say it’s nearly at all times coupled with some kind of abuse. Maintain contact to a minimal or none in any respect should you can. Pay attention to ‘amassing the troops’, concentrate on them making their behaviors or obsessions your individual (typically used to make you a villain). Get a therapist ASAP. Meditate. THIS HELPS SO MUCH! it’s like you’ll be able to see all of the traps they set and also you now not have an emotional response making the entice ineffective. If it’s a must to see them, make certain a belief good friend or associate comes alongside that is aware of. They are going to seemingly be considerably thrown by them plus you’ll be able to examine in with that particular person later. have contact with as many different ppl as attainable. DONT LET THEM ISOLATE YOU!!! AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: Be vigilant about stepping into different relationships with fuel lighters. Oftentimes should you develop up with ppl that do that, you subconsciously search these dynamics in a while in work/romance even should you effing hate gaslighting.

Ggirl says:

If anyone is chronically gaslighting you in these methods, they’re probably someplace on the narcissistic spectrum . As such, they aren’t seemingly going to vary or ever take accountability for his or her habits.

The best possible factor to do should you encounter somebody who treats you want that is to restrict your contact with them as a lot as attainable. For those who can go no contact nice, if not–restrict your encounters and by no means interact. Don’t ever clarify your self to them.

These individuals are psychologically harmful to your well being. They need to include a warning. I dwell with this for 14 years, and though I’ve had two scientific psychologists say that primarily based on my descriptions of the habits that this particular person seemingly NPD, I nonetheless second guess it and second-guess myself. Simply speaking to this particular person on the cellphone or having to see them in particular person brings up a number of anxiousness.

My recommendation, get them out of your life as a lot as attainable. They aren’t going to vary. Consider me, I did the whole lot in my energy to get this particular person to attempt to see what they had been doing they usually simply dug their heels in additional “you’re loopy” your “emotionally unstable”… This may trigger you to be and really feel emotionally unstable extra time and might even lead you to consider suicide. So, get away! Your life might rely upon it.

Riaan says:

That is an attention-grabbing one:

“I’m not arguing; I’m discussing.”

I don’t know the way I really feel about it because it implies arguing as a damaging.

I’ve fairly just lately thought of it and the way arguments are typically seen by individuals as damaging, however that’s not the case. Arguments are speculated to be offered with correct information to assist one’s assertion and to suggest a counterpoint to a different assertion so that every one events can obtain a useful consequence.

However, if that particular person has the necessity to say one thing like this then they themselves most likely misunderstand the correct definition of an argument. There’s no have to disguise an argument as a dialogue, they are often the identical factor for that matter, it’s merely a type of coming to the higher conclusion primarily based on information supplied from all events.

M says:

“I’m sorry you are feeling that approach.” IF they ever apologize, they’ll deflect it in the direction of you. They’ll by no means, EVER apologize for his or her actions, however relatively on your response to these actions. And should you attempt to level that out, they’ll name you unforgiving or imply.

Equally, should you specific emotions of damage, they’ll make it about them. E.g. should you inform them you don’t really feel like you’ll be able to come to them together with your feelings, they’ll say, “How might you say that to me?” or, “Are you aware how unhealthy that makes me really feel?”

Briefly, gaslighters will deal with you want shit and nonetheless in some way make YOU really feel responsible.

Ms Confused says:

My situation started once I realized he was transferring my belongings or take them then put them again a number of days later and stealing a lot! He advised me, “ you might be insane”, “you could have issues” “you need assistance!” But when COVID-19 began he was dwelling day by day so my objects disappeared extra ceaselessly and he would purposely attempt to get me to catch him. for instance, he took my coin assortment which I didn’t discover till he began leaving the wheat pennies from my assortment on the dresser, I discovered a number of on the kitchen ground in addition to front room. The primary two occasions I assumed, how cool I can add them to my assortment! Then it dawned on me… he’s purposely f€€{£g with me. I went to the coin assortment location the place I found over half of my different cash lacking in addition to round 50 wheat pennies. I requested him about it, he stated he was offended that I might suppose he took my stuff. He assured me that he would by no means try this to me, and that he’s my solely true good friend! (Sound acquainted?) Later I set him up and naturally he took these objects as nicely; cash and my calendar. The calendar reveals up a number of days later after I walked away from a pile of paperwork I used to be going by means of web page by web page. After I returned to the pile, there it was, on prime of my pile of paperwork! Wtf? I then started to suppose again. I noticed that not solely did he hold altering my passwords to lots of my accounts, he additionally really stole many objects together with many packing containers stuffed with my belongings within the storage, however I used to be satisfied it was my associates or my sister who stole my belongings as he made positive issues disappeared after their visits. he stole a lot from me, remoted me from those that cherished me, satisfied me for abt a 12 months that I used to be going loopy as a result of I used to be dropping my stuff, my jewellery, and my thoughts, my reminiscence even my sister started to really feel sorry for me, however he made a mistake by having a gun in the home and pulled it on me once I can dwelling late two nights in a row, so the cops eliminated him.Now my cousin does the identical stuff! He returns most the whole lot however with him I see his face grinning as if he enjoys watching me battle whereas I’m in search of my stuff together with cleansing provides I simply put in a spot then he lies, saying I’m loosing my thoughts! I caught him in the future however determined to play alongside as if I had a reminiscence lapse. I laughed it off with him. I do know I’m not loosing my thoughts, I simply occurred to be round others who r sick, probably as a result of I grew up round it and by no means realized it till my bf f~~[ed me over in away I could see it! After so many years of this I finally began to see it! I feel weak now even though I used to be strong, I new what & where I was going. I had no problems making decisions, now I’m terrified that this will continue even though I see it now & am getting therapy! It never affected me before but it did! I spent a large portion of my life being so angry not knowing why, until now! Life is strange! People are evil! I feel so ruined but still trying to not b destroyed!

Ms Confused says:

I forgot to say….. it Is embarrassing to be a victim from a gaslighter! But hopefully I will be humbled by it!

Nicola Smith says:

I got this one the other day. I said think your back in touch with woman who broke up your marriage. He is introvert to shy of rejection so his mum plants the seed so to speak and she has been liking this particular ex of his posts. I told him what I thought by text his reaction what the fuk or you on about
. I said I don’t need any confirmation your reaction says it all. Then he resumed his silent treatment. We are certainly done .

Bobby says:

Turmoil is the best interpretation based on my personal observation. Prolonged agony; stark relative conclusion after months/years, it’s most definitely compatibility issues. People aren’t taking their relationships to new levels. SELFISH behaviors; reckless abandonment, it’s the blame game whereby the NAME OF THE GAME is BATTLESHIP?! Prehistoric images appear as you toss around your flatulence grenades. You expect one thing but do another. Sacrifices are made; both parties, afterall what is a relationship without conceding here and there? Fine to disagree but controlling your significant other will eventually erode any chance of continuing the relationships. I had to pluralize the word ‘relationship’. We have our religious beliefs; perhaps not, atheists. We have our FAMILIES; perhaps not, you’re alone with an infamous gas lighter throwing Molotov Cocktails. My advice is to remain SINGLE; you can have friends, acquaintances. Marriage is something when you take your wedding vows to HEART. I think we all can express chaos under pressure. Be mature; think before you speak, try to understand your objectives.

Narcs are Everywhere! says:

““You always jump to the wrong conclusion.””
“Why would you think that? What does that say about you?”

Narcs also say plausible things sometimes, to force you to say this, so you look crazy. There entire position is based upon making you look like a crazy person. They make you appear like a Narcissist so they can point and say “See you are crazy!”

Tammy Sue says:

Heres one that i didnt realize had been happening until about the eighth time. It went like this…. We went to dinner with people i know, we go out to play pool, my bf whispers something in my ear that the other female said, i said. So i questioned her and she started yelling. My bf comes over immediately and says “why do you always cause drama”? I look at him and walk out. Next morning i realized he set me up and has done that with all new people we meet. He doesn’t want me to have friends. What better way to accomplish that and make me feel like i am unlikable. Since then, i have taken Betty Whites attitude

Mike says:

Hmmm… Interesting how everyone here responds like a victim… You are manipulative gaslighters too, because you are distorting and twisting the truth from what your partner is accusing you of. Hmm… a little gaslighting came out of me with that statement by distorting your reality because I don’t even know you right? Did my statement make you angry? Everyone has a little bit of gaslighting in them because we all think we are right… that’s why you might not accept that you are abusive too… (You just heard a whisper in your ear, “Ego! Ego! Ego!) It’s hard to accept. I know. I know. But, when you are accept, humility kicks in and you start to become aware.

However, you all have the ability to deal with such gaslighting statements thrown at you… Let me explain…

You all have the ability to be assertive and say “No!” if being mistreated, right?

Gaslighting goes both ways during an argument and both parties are guilty. Nobody is right during a heated argument. Why? Because both parties are angry and over exaggerating and not thinking straight. The aggressor is manipulating the situation by thinking he is right and the victim is manipulating the situation by feeling sorry for him/herself and thinking him/herself is right. Both are wrong in thinking that way. I would have to disagree with how gaslighting is defined.

Now, if one party is calm and tries to calm the situation, maybe that person has integrity while dealing with the perceived aggressor. . Most people think they are right and won’t let go of their ego. Why? Because people have a BIG EGO. That’s why most people have a little bit of gas lighting in their heart because of their ego and won’t really listen.

Dealing with a gaslighter: Be calm , really listen, and put your emotions to the side; or just walk away if the gaslighter won’t stop… ​Now, just like when a mommy is calm dealing with a baby that keeps crying and crying in her ear. Mommy just listens to her baby right? And if mommy can’t deal with the crying she will walk away and let the hubby take the next round. That’s how you deal with a gaslighter. Don’t fuel the gaslighter…

Unhappy Camper says:

How about from a department head “What is the problem?” After you’ve just given an elaborate explanation, given multiple examples, sent them a detailed report .. (requesting their help on something you have no access to and so can not fix.) And when you explain again – you get the same smiling response and shrug as they walk away. Or they tell you “No, you’re wrong, there’s no problem, it’s very easy. Just use … ” (Which does not work, and you’ve explained … and is even funnier they are trying to tell you how to do your job that they have not a clue about).

And so you try to involve your mutual boss – but are instead told to “work it out”, even though you have also explained to said boss, this other person’s clear lack of motivation to help, and the detriment to everyone’s productivity that this problem is not fixed …

It’s so utterly frustrating. After trying different ways to communicate, I had to acknowledge they really did not care, had zero interest in helping, and instead were getting a kick out of watching me struggle with the problem. SO now I avoid that person, try to find work arounds, and otherwise emotionally disengage — until I can find another job.

David says:

Quick question, I do joke a lot, sometimes to the point of being excessive and sometimes I do tend to cross a boundary every now and then, which I see afterwards and fully and willingly admit to and see their point of view and promptly apologize, so my question is, when talking about it immediately afterwards is saying, “I was just joking” wrong, I mean I legitimately am and the moment I’m told it wasn’t funny to them I take ownership, however as I said it does happen and I do lead off with the fact it was a joke so I don’t understand how that’s wrong if I don’t try to mask it once I realize feelings have been hurt?

Chris Boyles says:

I hate the people who start out with a preconditional precursor such as “Not that it is any of my business” and then proceed to take you to task personally as if the “precursor” serves to make the disparaging comments socially acceptable and civil, when the reality is it is a lowbrow vile personal denunciation sophisticatedly designed as a hypothetical, there fore in the miscreant’s perverted mind, washing their hands of the whole sordid matter THEY started in the first place….

Ashley says:

These phrases can go either way…especially when dealing with younger generations that are naturally more self centered and isolated due to the changing familial structures and dependency on technology. I am a millennial female and I have been in a couple of very abusive relationships where all these things were said by the abuser, I have been in relationships in my 20s where these phrases were used on both sides, in fact because younger people are so clueless when it comes to healthy communication, and we are used to have full authority and sovereignty and sometimes anonymity to say whatever we want, thanks to the internet, we tend to respond in hurtful and rash ways. We are a generation of spoiled brats compared to our elder generations, because we were fawned over by our parents

T says:

Quite a lot of comments for an article that doesn’t begin to touch on gaslighting as a subject. Literally zero of these phrases are indicative of gaslighting. Not a single one.
What you are reading is a result of modern sociology’s “semantic bleaching” of the word. The alt-right has done that same thing with the word “woke”, and each has taken readers away from the actual meanings.
Each one of these phrases listed in the article absolutely have a time and place to be used, and are worthy to be used towards a grown person that we can expect a standard of assimilation into adulthood from, and that has performed the quite requisite tasks of assuming their duties to confront issues and concerns.
Gaslighting is a fairly acute realm of interaction and it’s actually very rare; due to media you’re bound to think it’s a virus occupying every living breast and throat. All should stop taking away from actual victims and not claim victimhood because you were treated as anything more than a delicate leaf in the wind.

Supreme says:

I don’t agree with some of these.
“I’m not arguing, I’m discussing.”

Whenever I communicated about issues with my ex, he would get angry and start a fight. Having a constructive non-toxic conversation about important matters was nearly impossible because the moment I start communicating it, he takes it defensively ready to fight. Saying things like “I’m not arguing, I’m discussing.” is a way to try to help them readjust their perspective and stop being angry. Dismissive avoidant problems with a hint of narcissism.

Jamie M says:

I am in a situation where my husband is gaslighting his drinking problem on to me, i have three children two together, I lost full custody of my oldest child due to his drinking, this was two years ago. he made the usual promise that he would stop etc. he hasn’t stopped in fact it’s getting worse, he misses days at work because of it. I miss days at work because of it. whenever I try to talk to him about it he turns it around on me, he says I am trying to control him, or I’m not the boss of him or why am I making it a big deal, or why can’t I just relax and stop nagging him. I’ve had to call the cops on him recently as he came home early hours of the morning in a rage. just early hours this morning he woke me up when he got home because he wanted his share of the rent back. he even goes as far as yelling at me and calling me horrible names most times. my problem is that I have asked him to leave on so many occasions, he says that I can’t make him leave as his name is on the lease too, I’d leave but I have two kids that I’d have to take with me, there is a big housing shortage where I am. I’ve tried to get him help, he always says things like I am going to change, I am sorry etc but it’s like a broken record. I’m literally stuck. Whats worse is its starting to have an effect on our two children as well.

After 25 years I realize now she’s a Narcist Gas-lighter to the 3rd degree says:

So I’ve been married to my wife for 25 plus years, recently I’ve discovered the gaslighting world. SO I’ve lived through this marriage during the years thinking that all the problems in the relationship was somehow my fault. I’ll surely admit that I have done my share of stupid, name calling, drunk days etc. However I don’t remember some of the things that the wife said I done. Dam I really don’t know where to start with this shit because it’s became so surreal in the last 2 months that I’m overwhelmed with the fact that I’ve been manipulated for 25 years with this Gaslighting approach ort whatever you call it. It’s really some scary shit.

I have always been a bit insecure, jealous and controlling, however I never thought that this women I love so dearly would use things against or toward me to make herself be a a better person to our children and or others without me realizing. Dam this shit really hits home and and makes me very sad.

So , like I said a few months ago I started researching and reading about narcist., and ran across Gaslighting phrases. I’m at first like am I a gas lighter because she has made me think so. The further I dug the more clear it has gotten. I’m like this is exactly what my wife is doing to me, this is crazy. I really had to dig deep to control myself from totally calling her out for these years of deceiving me and using this tactic in our relationship and marriage.

I always wondered what the disconnect was in our relationship, I now think that it is the fact that my wife is a maculating narcist and a master at gaslighting. Like how the fuck could I have known because I had never heard of such a thing.

So, I’ll get to the point, I studied the shit out of different types of narcist and the way they operate. We made a trip to the mountains one day and on the way back she went off on my like never before. We were driving down the road so I had no chose but to hear all of this gaslighting for almost a hour. I was never so hurt and delusional in thought at the same time.

I kept thinking that if I was this bad why the hell would this women stay with me and not get a divorce. She’s a good person, she’s smart and makes good money, why the hell would she put up with me if I was all these bad things that she claims?

So, not qualified of course but I do have common sense and have accomplished quit a few things in my life. I start to realize how much this was happening everyday, and how it’s effected my relationship with our children. Dam this is really a sad situation and it really has gotten me pissed at her. My daughter came down one evening while I was studying an article about gaslighting, I asked her what here and her mother was hollowing about, my daughter stated that she’s accusing me and claiming xyz. I said to her, I want you to read this article and tell me what you think. She read it and said yes this is exactly what she does to me all the time, and I’m like yeah she’s been doing it to me for 25 years. At this point I’m convinced that my wife has this problem and it runs very deep.

Again, I’m really upset that she’s hidden and used this to control me in ways that she has. I wanted to divorce her and just be done. Remember 25 plus years of marriage 4 kids. I can’t just walk away from her and say goodbye to our family. Believe me I wanted to and I think I still want to.

So one evening I go up to the bedroom and she’s going off about something and I just blurted out you’re gaslighting. She says, I don’t even know what that word means. So I still had this article pulled up on my phone that many of you may have read. 24 phases that gas lighters use. She met at least 18 of them and has used them in our relationship.

So, I sent here the link!

She jumps up say’s I’m F-king crazy F-u I’m done I’m done with you.

Ok, so I say as she goes down the stairs read the phrases again and then tell me I’m wrong because you use these just in the last day or so. I then told her that I loved her dearly and I had to tell her to help solve the problem. We’ve been through all kinds of shit in the past 25 so we can fix this. NOT SO EASY!

For a few days things seem to clam down. but then the gaslighting monster would come out again. I finally told here that I’ll call her out every dam time she does it. And I do, nothing make her so mad that this.

I don’t think sometimes that she even realizes what she’s doing sometimes. I think it seems she uses it as a protection against something, I read a lot about this entering as a childhood travesty comes about. Her parents divorced when she was 3 or so. To say the least she’s very good at gaslighting and duplicating reasons that it’s my fault or etc.

I’m beside myself on this, I love her, but I’m really mad at her because she’s been mipping me for so long to keep my love by making me feel guilty.

I’ll take all the advice possible. I love her more than anything in the world. I can forgive but not forget. I’m 60 years old, so what the hell is one to do?

3rd degree victim

Percy V. says:

I worry about what this world will be like for my grandchildren and so on when we have really become so……idk, needy of validation of who we are and what we feel. I’m not advocating gaslighting or any type of abuse towards another person at all and I understand the value of bringing this info to the masses, but I’m more wondering why many of you have continued in a relationship you obviously were negatively affected by. weren’t we the generation that was told as kids we were all so very special and “good enough” and all questions are good questions etc. yet as adults we aren’t even self assured enough to unequivocally know if our S.O. is whispering “I hate you” to us!!?! If you know the other person is doing something like whispering shit and then denying it, or trying to manipulate you ( because most comments I read were left as 100% fact) have the confidence in yourself to show them the door. Or tell them you’re running to the store but just don’t come back. Someone who is doing those things to you doesn’t even deserve an explanation, you’ve wasted enough time on them. People don’t just gaslight everyone they know, it’s a purposeful action done to achieve something they want. People like that spend time looking for their “mark”. Sure it’s awful of them, but you CANNOT change another person! Value yourself more, don’t accept that kind of treatment anyone and you won’t be treated like that. It really makes me sad to see people with such low confidence. But hey I can’t change it for you. Hope everyone is better than yesterday. Sorry this was so long!

Victoria Bondoc Cabrera says:

After reading the article, and the comments here, I realize that I am a gaslighting victim.
But the major realization is that I too am gaslighting my own daughter, my hubby, my friends. “Hey, we need to leave now. What’s taking you so long?” “Did you hear what you just said?”
My Resolution: Be more careful with the words we say, and the actions implying such words. The habitual gaslighting thoughts are surely hard to stop, but we could pause a few moments and stop converting them into words and actions.